The London Review of Breakfasts

"Hope is a good breakfast, but it is a bad supper." (Francis Bacon)

Friday, December 21, 2007

Cafe Solo, Crouch End

Cafe Solo
59 The Broadway
Crouch End
N8 8DT (Map)
020 83478861

by Stephen Fry-Up

I had spent the first half of the previous evening at London’s cavernous Alexandra Palace, clad entirely in black and rhythmically shuffling along to moody old Interpol. Some time later, I found myself in somebody’s house somewhere near Wood Green, having passed a full 45 minutes sleep on a small rickety stool. I decided to beat a hasty retreat, and, feeling very much confused, but in an inexplicably joyful way, I wended my way upon foot and upon bus down to Crouch End.

There, I called on my ex-flat-mate, ‘The Toaster’, and we set out for his favourite Crouch eatery, Cafe Solo. During my Crouch days, I ate once at Solo’s and it was diabolical, but the Toaster was adamant that it had been but a blip and that Solo’s was back to its best. Now, the Toaster is a man who knows his food, so if he says something is good, then it most probably is. Nonetheless it was with some trepidation that I went (as Blake Pudding likes to term it) “off-piste”, and ordered hash-brown, black pudding, bacon, eggs, mushrooms, and beans. However I am pleased to report that every item was utterly delicious: the black pudding was rich and sticky, the eggs were flawless, and the hash-browns were crispy golden oniony heaven.

Solo’s is basically the perfect breakfast destination: it’s friendly, family run, and the service is great. It doesn’t wank on about food provenance, which, frankly, is hard enough to bear in the evening, let alone at breakfast. And yet it is far superior to any ‘greasy spoon’ that I have patronised hitherto. Quite simply, if you live anywhere near Crouch End, you should, like The Toaster, eat at Cafe Solo daily. And if not, well, I know of a lovely two bed flat for rent…

3 Comments:

Blogger Depressive Dancer said...

Called February 2010 and I'm afraid this place has gone!

12:15 PM, February 06, 2010  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you know what happened? I was working in Cafe Solo for few months but I had to leave.
rgds
Maggie
xx

10:48 PM, July 15, 2010  
Blogger Unknown said...

Loved that place especially the waitress, the lovely Joanna. ❤️

5:08 PM, February 20, 2022  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares