The London Review of Breakfasts

"Hope is a good breakfast, but it is a bad supper." (Francis Bacon)

Thursday, February 16, 2006

Moomba World Café, Putney

Moomba Word Café
5 Lacey Road
Putney
SW15 1NH
020 8785 9151
www.moomba.co.uk

by Blake Pudding

It was the name that filled me with horror- Moomba World Café. It conjured up images of earnest New Zealanders worrying about whether it was ethical to listen to Paul Simon - and awful, awful food. No, my breakfast companions insisted, this was the place to go for breakfast in Putney. I was with the beautiful Wingate sisters, Alice and Emily, the granddaughters of legendary Second World War maverick General Orde Wingate. Orde was the man who founded the Israeli Army, reinstated Haile Selaisse on the throne of Ethiopia and expelled the Japanese from Burma so perhaps a “world” café was appropriate.

The food was good too. My full English came in at £7.65 but was worth almost every penny. It came with the usual stuff, all of high quality and well cooked, but also an item which appeared to be a hybrid of bubble and squeak and a hash brown. It was unusual but great for mopping up excess HP sauce. The service worked with military precision. We ordered and scarcely had time to say “Lion of Judah” before a delicious meal was there in front of our eyes. I should add that the eggs Benedict was a little disappointing with runny hollandaise and overcooked eggs but I, with my magnificent full English, did not really care.

At the Moomba World Café one finds the perfect meeting of the café and the caff cultures- the very good ingredients of the café combined with the utter professionalism of the caff.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A breakfast at Moomba should be incorporated into every Putneyites weekend routine, well done for highlighting this gem and your support for independently run operations.

1:49 PM, March 10, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Agree all round, Moomba is the best place for breakfast in SW London! Great friendly service and some lovely fry-ups to be had.

1:37 PM, August 23, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

News just in: the breakfasts here are still great. I was there this weekend.

The squeak was great. The bacon was great. The sausage was intimidating.

Go Putney.

4:34 PM, October 23, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate to put a damp flannel on Moomba's breakfast parade but I visited here recently and came away unhappy. The breakfast itself was up to their usual standard, unfortunately the interior has been horribly revamped but worst of all there seemed to be some kind of pork smell extraction disaster in the kitchen which meant that we smelt of stale frying for the rest of the day.

4:12 PM, April 29, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

service is terrible, food was average and when we declined to pay the 'service surcharge' the response was rude and unnecessary

4:38 PM, May 14, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had the most dissapointing and expensive breakfast there. I'm a bit of a sausage aficionado (I worked for a time with the legendary Bill O'Hagan) and I was shocked at the paucity of pork in their snags. I too declined the execrable service charge it's a caf for God's sake

9:40 AM, July 09, 2008  
Blogger HB said...

Anon - I'm interested by your porcine know-how - I entirely agree that a snag without the hog is abominable, but I find the glut of high-volume-pork sausage somewhat dry; lacking that key ingredient, flavoursome, juicy fat. It's Porklitical Correctness gone mad, if you ask me.

11:04 AM, July 09, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares