The London Review of Breakfasts

"Hope is a good breakfast, but it is a bad supper." (Francis Bacon)

Monday, January 09, 2006

E Pellicci, Bethnal Green

E Pellicci
332 Bethnal Green Rd
Bethnal Green
E2 0AG
020 7739 4873

by Blake Pudding

I woke up in the heart of London's fashionable East End with a pretty Oriental lady and I thought what better way to continue the romance of the night before than by treating her to a slap up meal at Pellicci's. Those of you who have never been here before are in for a treat. The outside is done in an elegant 1940's style in pastel colours with leaded windows. But it is on the inside that you begin to understand why this place is so famous. The first thing to hit you is the heat, the second is the welcome from the staff with their incredible Cockney/Italian accents, but the most remarkable thing is the wood panelling. The whole interior is decked out in a dazzling Art Deco wood veneer. The effect is rather like finding a miniature Chrysler building on Bethnal Green Road.

My companion ordered the steak pie which was excellent, with tender meat and exquisite short crust pastry (though why they have to smother the whole thing in Bisto is beyond me). I ordered the breakfast and it pains me to say this but it was awful. All breakfast crime boxes had been ticked: everything deep-fried everything of the worst quality imaginable. I won't dwell on it because I think this place is rather wonderful and everyone around me seemed to be enjoying themselves so much. So readers, come to Pellicci's, marvel at the welcome, marvel at the interior, try the steak pie, try the lasagne but, for God's sake, avoid the breakfast.

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

June 9, 2007
I really love Pellicci's, go there often but I'm afraid I have to agree about the breakfasts

3:37 PM, June 10, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

..and one of the best places in east london for coffee.

7:01 PM, July 06, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't agree about their breakfasts. The couple I've had there have been very good.
The sausage is usual greasy spoon fare but the bacon is pretty good and they can cook black pudding (it's not supposed to cremated - bloody southerners).
The people, both patrons and particuarly staff, make Pellicci's special. Even more than the exquisite interior.
High Recommended.

12:43 AM, August 05, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The atmosphere in there is amazing, and the food good, wholesome and cheap!

2:28 PM, January 07, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When you say "pretty oriental" do you mean a pretty girl who was also oriental? or a girl who was, you know, "pretty oriental"?

1:33 PM, January 22, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you mean pretty oriental as in quite oriental or pretty damn oriental? The lady in question is half-chinese and rather attractive so she is pretty and pretty oriental.

I hope that clears it up. I know that my writing can lack precision.

1:57 PM, January 22, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rapid response Blake, I like it. Shows a certain care, both for your prose and its reader

9:09 PM, January 22, 2008  
Blogger Joe Burke said...

Also had a dreadful breakfast here - ridiculously overpriced too no tea and toast with my breakfast??

11:32 AM, July 05, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh this is the funniest blog I've ever read.... Pretty oriental in every way. In fact Pelliccis is probably more oriental than it ever would be Italian..

As for Pellicci's itself, I just don't get it. Yes, institution, been there for ever, great atmosphere but only in England would something do well on those accounts.
People just accept the worst quality of food in this country it pi**es me right off.

4:39 PM, August 04, 2010  
Blogger JudyBlags said...

Well what a shame. All geared up to catch the No 8 Bus and go along for a decent brekkie until I read the recent reviews. Seems like since Mr P senior passed away things have gone downhill. Can anyone recommend a good place for a value for money decent breakfast please. Thanks in anticipation
From a 60+ and her other half, staying at St Pancras YHA in order to attend the 'Proms@

10:08 PM, August 08, 2010  
Blogger JudyBlags said...

Well what a shame. All geared up to try this little 'gem' for a good brekkie, on our forthcoming visit to the big City but it seems since the original Mr P passed away things have gone down hill. Can anyone recommend a value for money good brekkie please. Many thanks in anticipation.
60+ with other half staying at St Pancras YHA in order to do the 'Proms'

10:09 PM, August 08, 2010  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

try cafe338 next door to pellici. lovely breakfeast, good price

1:45 PM, April 01, 2011  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just come across this site. Can't believe what last reviewer said about pellici's. I've lived in area a year now and been to most of the caffs along the road and pellici is by far the best. All the other caffs do a decent breakfast but when I go to this caff the food is good ,service is fab and coffee is top class plus all their other food is homemade,prepared from scratch by mama Maria who you see in the back working away, she even chops all her chips by hand! Plus I got a lovely piece of homemade breadpudd to take with me for free!

4:36 PM, April 27, 2011  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Forgot to say, tried other food at some of the other caffs when pellici closes for august and most of it comes off the frozen food lorry!

4:39 PM, April 27, 2011  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I go london quite alot and always go Pellicci's the fish and chips is to die for and we get free homemade cake everytime, delicious, unfortunately I read a note on the door when I went in August that it had closed down for good and that the owners had gone back to Italy can someone please tell me this isn't true disaster if it is.

8:40 AM, October 07, 2011  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pelliccis definitely hasn't closed- I'd be devastated. In london today so went in had the most delish homemade minestrone soup just what you need on a cold october day! The family told me that they always close for august for their annual holiday but had someone board up the front as a precaution because of the riots but thankfully they were ok. Also got a piece of scrum my breadpudd to take with me!

6:48 PM, October 19, 2011  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares